Indiana education officials today announced the 10 finalists for the state’s 2018 Teacher of the Year, including three from Marion County.
“Our students succeed because of exceptional instruction in the classroom,” said state Superintendent Jennifer McCormick. “I am grateful for the dedication and hard work they show each and every day.”
Jitka Nelson, a teacher from Logansport, was the 2017 winner.
The finalists are:
- Lisa Eck, Arlington Elementary School, Franklin Township Schools
- Julie Oelschlager, Hamilton Heights High School, Hamilton Heights Schools
- Kathleen Rauth, Center for Inquiry School 27, Indianapolis Public Schools
- Jerome Flewelling, Crown Point High School, Crown Point Schools
- Kristin Baker, Elkhart Central High School, Elkhart Schools
- Heidi Hisrich, Richmond High School, Richmond Schools
- Amanda Graham-Bishop, Frankfort High School, Frankfort Schools
- Dan Baker, Huntington North High School, Huntington County Schools
- Kathleen Sarles, Franklin Community High School, Franklin Schools
- Lena Darnay, Pike High School, Pike Township Schools
The 2018 winner will be chosen in October, after which they’ll go on to represent Indiana in the national competition.